Thursday, April 5, 2018

A Spring Wreath for Under $15 (plus some shopping at Hobby Lobby)

My oldest has Spring Break from school this week, so the kids and I decided to take a trip to our nearest Hobby Lobby in Va. Beach. While the drive there was less than pleasant due to a couple of accidents around the tunnel, the Lord was gracious to us and the kids were rock stars! Despite the longer than normal drive, we actually enjoyed our day in the city. The kiddos even got some ice cream for their good behavior ;)

One of our stops was Hobby Lobby- one of my favorite craft stores. It's probably a good thing they aren't closer to us though. If they were, my wallet would be in a lot of trouble. Regardless, we didn't do too much damage there, and still managed to walk away with some pretty sweet deals. 
One of which was material to make a new wreath for our front door. For less than $15, I'll show you how you can make one too.
Before I do, this is the wreath that originally started it all. You can buy one on Etsy for about $119. But I didn't want to spend that much on a wreath, so here is what I came up with.

Materials needed: 
Green wire wreath (already had)
Burlap bow ($2)
Some faux greenery with flowers ($8)
A "welcome" sign ($3)
Spray paint (already had)


To start, I took out a wire wreath that hadn't been in use in quite some time. It was perfect for this project because the green wire blended nicely with all the faux greenery that was wrapped around the wreath.




I wrapped the faux ivy around the wreath first followed by the faux floral arrangement. 


Next, I grabbed the burlap bow and added it to the bottom of the wreath using some wire.


I decided to spray paint the "welcome" sign white because I wanted it to stand out a bit on the wreath.
Tip: To hang the "welcome" sign, I just used a paper clip and it seemed to do the trick!


Again, I could have left the wreath as you see below, but once the "welcome" sign was added, it really made this wreath stand out even more.


I did ask our oldest, Tess, if the sign should be angled or straight, and she thought keeping it straight would look best. 
I couldn't agree more!


LOVE!!!



In the meantime, while I was working on this simple, quick project, our kids were out playing (in the somewhat cold weather we had today). 
Our Lydia wanted to work on her weaving skills using a kit we bought at Hobby Lobby for under $5! 

I remember having one of those when I was a kid. It brought back memories of always wanting to fill my parents home with all these colorful potholders I made. I'm sure she'll be doing the same. :)



Tessa found this cute coral floral arrangement on sale at HL, so we got those as well. They go nicely in the girls room.


This little stinker wasn't forgotten...


There was a dinosaur section at HL that just seemed to be screaming his name. He picked out a few things, one of which was this "Boys Only" sign. Not sure how well it will work however, since he can never seem to keep his sisters out of his room. Seems only fair they hang out in there since he likes to rummage through their things when he thinks no one is looking. ;)


Do you have a Hobby Lobby near you? What kind of things are you drawn to there?

I'm hoping to get some other posts up soon of a few other simple projects (that is, if they go according to plan).

No comments :

Post a Comment

I always love to hear from my readers! Thanks for taking the time to post an encouraging & uplifting comment.