Monday, May 21, 2018

Tall Dresser Makeover (with a little something different!)

A few years ago, I purchased this tall Broyhill dresser at a thrift store.  Most recently, we've been using it in the boy's room. It provides great storage and is very well made. When I first saw this dresser, I loved the dental detail at the top and the fun little shape at the bottom, but of course knew it was going to get painted. Once we got it home, I cleaned it up, primed, sanded, and painted it dark gray.  It stayed that color for a while.

More recently, I posted to my FB page about using gold painted animals as knobs for this dresser...well, the "knobs" have been painted and added to this piece finally.




I also repainted the dresser in a lighter gray (a mistake that ended up working out) and sanded to bring the two colors together. I love the unexpected spunk the knobs add as well as the depth the paint colors give it! Plus, the boy loves the animals!  

Here are some recent photos I took...








At first, I wasn't sure if I liked the graininess of the drawers (and really the whole thing) after they were sanded. It's definitely a different look than what I usually go for when painting large pieces like this because normally I paint using one color only. However, I wanted this piece to have some depth and I think blending the darker gray with the lighter gray helped achieve this look. What do you think?

It's definitely different...but it adds some fun to our son's room and for that, we like it!


And some pics of one of my future painters...she wanted to repaint her rocking chair this pretty pink we used here and here.





No comments :

Post a Comment

I always love to hear from my readers! Thanks for taking the time to post an encouraging & uplifting comment.