Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Kitchen Phase 1

Hi there!

I hope you all had a good weekend. :)
Ours was pretty busy...and this week will be too, but I have managed to squeeze in some small projects here and there so the house is slowly coming together.
Since the house is really outdated, it will take some time for us to finish some projects and get things to where I like them. 
I do have to say that waiting to complete these projects has been hard for me because I am not a patient person by nature (although I know God is teaching me some important lessons through all of this) and I have been itching to get so many things done. It's not going to happen that way, but it is probably best not to rush things.

Anyways, I have some pictures to share of our kitchen since a lot of the painting has been done.
It is still not finished by any means, but I wanted to share what I have done so far.

There will be a lot of photos so bear with me!
First up are the "before" pictures....looking back at these it hurts my eyes a little!
So outdated!!!!



So.much.wood.
It was everywhere....and those green counter-tops....don't get me started. I guess it was meant to match the carpet in the family room? That's my guess at least. And yes, that fridge is almost 30 years old...kinda gross, but it is functional and we don't have the money to go out and buy a new one yet so it stays....for now.


The first thing I did in here was paint the kitchen island.
I used a medium tone gray called Pavestone by Sherwin Williams.
I really wanted to use gray in the kitchen and figured that would be a good place to start.

I also painted the green counter-tops...that helped brighten things up a bit in here in addition to taking down those uppper floating cabinets.



After leaving the kitchen that way for a few days, I tackled the cabinets.
For those, I went with Sherwin Williams Worldly Gray. It is a nice light gray with a brown undertone.
I like it, but I am not sure I love the way they turned out. I say that probably because there are so many other things I want to change about this kitchen and until that is done, I won't know how I feel about the gray cabinets.



I added some brass knobs to most of the cabinets since I didn't want to change all of the other brass hardware we have in the house....I actually like them. I don't know if they work well with the light gray, but maybe I will change my mind about that.


I also filled the gaps between the cabinets with some putty to give the cabinet faces a bit more of a flush look...I still have some light sanding to do on some of them, but I am taking my time getting that done. :)


Yes, we still need to touch up the ceiling where the cabinets came down...And I want to remove the ceiling fan in the kitchen...who puts a fan in the kitchen anyways? I haven't seen a fan in a kitchen since the early 90's when I was a kid...and even then, we had it in the kitchen nook, not right smack in the middle of the kitchen island. 




Sorry for the mess, I didn't stage these photos...obviously. ;)



So that is where things stand right now in here...it's much brighter in this space now that the cabinets and counter tops have been painted. 

I'm still deciding on whether or not to paint some of the wood trim...I really want to keep a lot of the woodwork the way it is, but I still feel that it is a bit too much the way it is and have to decide what parts of it I want to paint and what parts not to touch. These are first world problems as they call it...so I'm trying not to stress too much over it.


Oh, and I hope you don't read this and think, wow, that looks pretty simple...it must have been a quick project.
Nope!
It took me about 2 weeks to do...mainly because I was working during nap times and in the evenings sometimes and just couldn't get it all knocked out in a couple of days. I'm sure some people could, but with 2 kiddos and life, it just wasn't going to happen that quickly. But at least it is partly done now!

More to share later in the week.
I have also sold a few more furniture pieces and am hoping to get more in this week and next. I have been on the hunt for some items, but haven't had any luck finding the right pieces. 


Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments :

  1. Girl, if it only took you two weeks, that means I am one slow poke! When I redid my kitchen, including painting my cabinets, several years ago, it took my somewhere close to forever to finish. Go, you! It's looking great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dayle! Two weeks seems like forever to me because I can be really impatient when it comes to decorating...I am learning to wait a little to get some things done and take my time...but not too much time. ;)

      Delete

I always love to hear from my readers! Thanks for taking the time to post an encouraging & uplifting comment.