Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Girls Faux Fireplace in Bedroom


This project wasn't particularly hard to do, but I am pretty happy with the outcome and so are my daughters. Here is how this whole thing began...

A little while back, I saw this image from a blog (also happens to be a blog from the hosts of Fixer Upper) about a faux fireplace in a little girl's room and fell in love with it. 
Ever since seeing that picture (which now for the life of me I can't seem to find online!) I knew I wanted to do that in our girls room. The faux fireplace would add a little something extra special to their space and they could decorate it any way they wanted to.

So, how did I end up with all the wood to make this piece?
Well, after making more than a handful of buffet tables to sell over that past couple of months, that left me with quite a bit of left-over scrap wood which ended up being the perfect amount for the job. 

I just basically laid out the wood in our garage one day and measured, then cut the dimensions I wanted and that was it! I did use my pocket hole screws to keep the piece together and in the end, had to anchor it to the wall for extra safety. Plus, that way they could hang some things from it and I wouldn't worry whether or not the fireplace would hold up.


Here is where the piece started:


And after some painting and a little decorating with my daughter's things:








There are still a few minor details I would like the girls to be able to add in the future...like little wooden decorations to the top under the mantle part or some finials...and they could paint those too...but for now, it is a pretty basic piece that adds so much character. We love it!!


Some final details about their room:
Wall color- Benjamin Moore Mellow Pink (color matched at Home Depot)
Wooden rocking chair- local thrift store
Basket- local thrift store
Prints of both girls- Staples engineering prints (love that place!)
Wooden bird house- A.C. Moore and hand painted by my girls
Jewelry box- gift from family



No comments :

Post a Comment

I always love to hear from my readers! Thanks for taking the time to post an encouraging & uplifting comment.