Friday, November 16, 2012

Shoe Storage...Continued

 
Happy Friday everyone and as promised, I have the shoe storage project completed and ready to show you.
 
But first, I really want to thank Katherine from KatherinesCorner.com for allowing me to co-host with her yesterday on her blog. And thank you to my new followers for taking the time to read my posts and comment on them. It really means a lot to have new readers who enjoy my blog and I have enjoyed reading a few of your blogs as well. There are so many creative minds out there and it is nice to be able to get new ideas each week!
 
 
Sorry, I felt the need to make the above statements bigger than my normal font size because I am really excited to have new followers.
 
Okay...so on to today's DIY project.
 
It all started with a trip to IKEA with a friend of mine last weekend and I ended up purchasing a few items. Two of which happened to be IKEA's Bissa shoe cabinet (which they are discontinuing so I was able to buy a new one as well as their floor model for a great deal!!!!)
Score!!
 
It ended up being quite the adventure because we were told by two salespeople that I couldn't get a discount on the floor model....but I was persistent and asked one more person in their "As-Is" department and he gave me the discount no questions asked. :)
It always pays to go with your gut about something and to not be afraid to ask a sales associate a question like that....anyways, for both of the IKEA cabinets, the total came in just under $50.00 and these cabinets hold a total of 20-22 shoes per!!! Can you believe it?! I was stoked!
 
Okay, so here are a few pictures of what I did to jazz up our shoe cabinets a little bit so they fit with who we are stylistically.
 
 
This is what the original product looked like after my hubby assembled one and we brought them both outside.
They came in the color "birch" which isn't our taste.
 

 
So I took some primer and paint and got to work with the first cabinet.
It took a few coats to get them the color I wanted but it worked out.
 

 
 
After they dried, my hubby brought them inside and set them side-by-side so we could see how it would look by our coat rack.
 

 
 
I had the bronze handles (shown as the first handle) on hand from a thrift store desk we bought but we weren't sold on its detail.
So I took my little helper with me to Home Depot and purchased the nickel-stained handles for under $2.00 a piece. I can always go back and paint them if needed but for now, I think I like the look it adds to the shoe cabinet.
 

 
 
I measured (or eye-balled) where I was thinking the handles would be placed and decided on placing them up higher on the doors rather than having them smack dab in the middle of the door opening.
 


 
 
Then I really did measure out the distance I wanted the handles to be placed. I measured 2 1/2" down from the top and 7 1/2" over from each side.
This was the tedious part, but it was worth it to get it right.
 

 
 
I stepped back after the first one was done to snap a photo and was loving how it was turning out!
 

 
 
And there they are!!! The finished products side-by-side!  :)
There is still a few more tweaks to make to this space, but it is coming along nicely.
 


 
 
And here you can see just how many shoes these cabinets hold. It's quite a lot and we have plenty of room for guests shoes on the bottom.  :)
 
Not bad for $50.00!!
 
 
How do you store your shoes??
 
Linking up to:
 
Thanks for stopping by!


2 comments :

  1. I am so happy you enjoyed cohosting. This is a terrific makeover. Big hugs and happy weekend wishes! xo

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from my readers! Thanks for taking the time to post an encouraging & uplifting comment.