Thursday, May 31, 2012

First Slipcover Completed

Hi everyone! I am glad you are reading this post today because my slipcover has now be completed. Okay...well maybe not exactly 100% completed because the only thing left to do is to stain the armchair legs. However, I think I will be working in that last part after the second armchair is slipcovered.

Are you ready for some pictures? I hope so because I am excited to show you some so here we go! :)


That was my quick "Before and After" from what we started with and after adding the final piece, which was the skirt. I must say that I am happy with the results.


To make the skirt, I took some extra leftover canvas dropcloth, which I measured out before I started making my slipcover, and wrapped it around the chair and secured it with pins.


Once the pins were in place, I took my hot glue gun to keep the fabric in place (yes, I know that most people actually sew the skirt on, but I didn't want to do it by hand or by using my sewing machine because using my glue gun was much faster).
Also, I think we purchased my sewing machine for $30 at Wal-Mart...something like that...and it isn't big at all. I still used it to sew the back of the fabric on the chair, but that was it.


I loved using these push-pins to hold the skirt on before I glued. They were given to me by my mother-in-law and they came in handy for this project big time!

Next, I took some twine and measured out how much I needed to wrap around the bottom of the chair. I did this because I wanted the twine to act as piping around the chair.


Once that was done, I glued some extra canvas dropcloth around the twine to give it a piping effect.
This "piping" is what I used to hide where the skirt fabric met up with the chair seat.
This helped make it all come together and look a little cohesive.


Here is a close-up of the "piping" and the skirt bottom I added.


I also took some more pictures of the frilly fabric that I made to add to the seat and the back of the chair for some extra pizzaz, if you will.
I really like the frilly-ness I added in different places because it makes the chair a little unique.
I love it!


And here she is in all her glory! What do you think?
Do you like it, too?
:)


One more quick reminder of the progress to completion:


I can't wait to start on the second armchair and hope it turns out just as good! :)

Linking up to:
HookingupwithHoH

The Taylor House
five days five ways  feature friday free for all
The Shabby Nest
Remodelaholic's Friday Party
good one
Photobucket
DIY Show Off Project Parade
Home Stories A2Z 

Thanks for stopping by!
I really appreciate all of my readers out there!

8 comments :

  1. Wow looks great! Slipcovers can get soooo expensive. I'm a new GFC follower and love your blog. Please follow me back at http://iheartpears.blogspot.com. I'll be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...thanks, Hubba! You are right! Slipcovers can be very expensive, but making one is way cheaper and so much fun!

    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done, I haven't had the guts to make one for my old wing back, but yours is fabulous so I feel emboldened!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! It was a little scary at first, but since I paid so little for the chair and the fabric, I figured I would give it a go. Glad I did. :)

    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks terrific! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...thank you, Katherine! :)

      ~Stephanie

      Delete
  6. Amazing transformation!! We are so glad you joined our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". We love to see all of the great recipes and ideas!! Thanks and we hope to see you again next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, ladies and thank you for hosting a fabulous linky party!! :)

      ~Stephanie

      Delete

I always love to hear from my readers! Thanks for taking the time to post an encouraging & uplifting comment.